Now autumn is pretty much done and dusted I think it is time to crack out the x word. Christmas is coming and I am working on a new card. Last year was a squirrel, previous year was a wee deer, this year I am going arctic with a polar bear or two. I had a vision of the bears in the night on the ice but thought it was too dark and then cut round the bears to make an outline. Now I am worried I have made a mistake and should go back to the dark image.
I blame autumn watch! At this time of year I find myself sketching we animals and woodlands. Aha, I will do a badger I said to myself, how cute, how lovely. How wrong, difficult wee beasties to draw, esp. if you are aiming for an adorable 'Don't cull me' look. I tried for about a week and seemed to end up with a series of fairly horrible bears with face paint.
Thankfully perseverance paid off and I ended up with an image that works. I have decided to stick with the colours and collage effect used for the stag. So I am creating a series of animals using the gold/silver tissue paper with the animal outlined in black and highlighted in white. This combo seems to capture the twilighty autumnness of the atmosphere I wanted for my creatures.
The hare image came relatively quickly, I wanted a sketchy illustration of a hare about to bound off into the distance.
Next up a hedgehog but he is proving nearly as tricky as the badger...
The Exhibition opened on Saturday during the Open day. As always the open day was fantastic. I was busy helping the public create their very own Mono-prints. There were some beautiful images created by people of all ages using leaves, feathers and stencils. It was the first time I have used Gelatin as a printing surface and it works so well. The gelatin releases the ink to the paper with the slightest touch so no need for a press. I will definitely be doing this again.
My friend Andrea created the yellow and silver prints above.
As I kept reminding my daughter during her early years, sharing is a nice thing to do. So here I am, skillsharing merrily with 5 lovely, local, would be printers.The remit was to create a Christmas card using one lino block and chine collé. We had 3 hours to cut and print. Everyone was a novice relief printer and I was really impressed at how quickly everyone adapted their designs and produced the cards.
First up we see Barb creating a christmas elf being squashed by a bauble. Hurrah!
Then Sasha did a cute wee robin.
Sarah did a partridge with Matisse overtones. Her lovely assistants are Orianna and Tilly.
Here is Emily's take on the partridge.
Libby also went for a cute wee robin but then she does like cute wee Robins.
I can't believe it is a whole year since the fridge of indecision last made it onto my blog. It is vital part of my design process. On these dark evenings sitting in front of the fire watching Autumn Watch on the telly my mind wanders to woodlands and the creatures that live there. Last year I created a series woodland creatures mini prints. This year I decided to concentrate on the creatures themselves. Starting with a stag I decided to create a few monoprints help the design process along.
These were lovely to do, there is something lovely about messing about with ink on perspex
The yellow, red and blue colourway was a pretty strong contender before I started proofing the prints and applying them to the fridge door.
But you know I am a sucker for shiny shiny paper and the gold and silver tissue paper really strike the right note at this time of year. I may return to the yellow and red theme in spring but for now my stag prints are silver and gold.