Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Reduce, Reuse ,Recycle

So here is the fruit of all that kitchen floor cutting that went on earlier in the week.

I had the tree silhouette left over from a reductive lino cut. It seemed a shame not to use it again, so I recreated the back ground using 3 different blocks.

The first block i have cut in half and jigsawed together so i could do the sky and path colours in one go. I love wee cheats like that. The sky is created using blending which gives a nice graduated effect. The second block is the green, then third is brown. I think this one is too dark and I would use a more yellow colour next time. Lastly is the trees in a dark brown. The final print is good but I think i will head up to the studio and try and do it properly with oil based inks. I haven't quite got the hang of the water based inks and doing it at home.

Monday, 27 September 2010

Marvelous marmoleum

Today I am cutting up the remnant from my kitchen floor. As you can see I have already used a bit for the Grey Mare's Tail print.

First stall

Here I am at my first stall! It went really well. It was a beautiful sunny day, there was a great band playing. I got lots of great responses from folk and even sold a few prints!

Saturday, 25 September 2010

Look at these wee elephants! I love them, probably not robust enough for a small child but they do very well on my bookcase. I have an absolute ton of old embroidery fabric to recycle and this seems to be a good use of it. Hopefully they will get a good reception tomorrow at the Portie Village fair.

Friday, 24 September 2010


I had booked a session in the studio but finished my Renvyle print earlier than expected. So with nothing else to do I beavered away at cutting out this image of the Gray Mare's Tail. I love love love the spontaneity and speed of using chine-colle and think it really works for this image.

Thursday, 23 September 2010

Craft fair excitement!

So I decided today to try and get a stall at the Portobello village fair and low and behold they have space! I am very excited


Here is a print I have been fiddling with on and off all summer. Normally I use the reductive method of linoprinting which gives a certain frisson of russion roulette to each cut. I decided to experiment with creating 3 separate blocks for each colour. The benefit is that I can experiment with colours and fix mistakes, the down side is the difficulty in registration of the different colours. I am really pleased with the results and will definitely pursue this method.