Friday, 15 October 2010

groynes finished

Here is the finished groynes image. The jury is still out as to whether the 'proper oil based done in the studio' version is actually any better or in fact not as good as my home grown proofs!

It does look more finished but I quite liked the painterly quality of the waterbased inks. Maybe I should just have done some watercolours and saved my hands?

Thursday, 14 October 2010


So I had booked a studio session this morning to finish off the groyne picture but I knew it wouldn't take very long. I spent ages yesterday mooning about trying to find inspiration for something else to do.

I sketched a wee piggy on a lino block but then decided it was daft. My husband found it later and said he loved it. So I cut it out and am very pleased with the results. The image shown is a rough proof done last night in the add break on grand designs! My inability to remain monochromatic led me to create a background block.

It was so much fun to do. I kept giggling to myself in the studio each time I made one.

Tuesday, 12 October 2010

So here is that tree print finally printed up on lovely Fabriano paper using oil based ink.

Wednesday, 6 October 2010

I am reconsidering my colour obsession. Here is a simple wood cut I did at the start of the summer. Maybe it is time to go monochromatic for a while.

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Groyne action!

I have been mulling this image over in my head for a few months and finally sat down on Friday to cut it out. It is looking from Portobello beach towards East Lothian. I then did a VERY rough proof that evening. I am hoping to work it up properly this week.

I am using japanese ply instead of lino, cos a change is as good as a rest. It is harder on the hands than lino but then you don't have to be constantly hopping up and down to warm it on the hotplate. Swings and roundabouts! Also if anyone is reading this, it would be good to have comments before I start printing it up properly, please.